Home » International Criminal Justice

International Criminal Justice

Meet the ICJ Coaches

Bryce E. Barthuly

Expertise: Research  

Bryce is currently pursuing his PhD in Criminology at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. Prior to coming to John Jay, he completed his M.S in Criminal Justice/Criminology at Portland State University and B.A in Criminal Justice at Western Oregon University. He holds specializations in crime analysis, geographic information systems, homeland security, and forensic anthropology. His research interests include policing, illegal wildlife trade, and transnational organized crime. 

Email: bbarthuly@jjay.cuny.edu

Dr Leonid Lantsman

Expertise: provide coaching to students in ICJ 770 and ICJ 715 

My name is Leonid Lantsman and I am currently working at the U.S. State Department Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs as a contracted Program Advisor. I am a product of the CUNY system, completing my Ph. D. in Criminal Justice in 2017 through the Graduate Center- CUNY, M.A. in Criminal Justice in 2013 at John Jay, and M. Phil in Criminal Justice in 2013 through the Graduate Center- CUNY, and my B.A. in Government at Cornell University and the School for Oriental and African Studies, London.

I’ve worked at the State Department for the past ten years and have developed and supported maritime law enforcement and related security sector assistance international foreign assistance reform programs. Previous to that I worked at the Waterfront Commission of New York Harbor and as a journalist in Nigeria. I have during my time with the State Department worked closely with universities and colleges around the U.S. to produce relevant international criminal justice research to shape the policy and foreign assistance objectives of the INL Bureau on a wide variety of topics from police reform, such as this course, corrections, maritime and port security, international crime issues such as East European organized crime networks, and others.

I teach ICJ 770 and provide coaching to students in ICJ 770 and ICJ 715.

Email: llantsman@jjay.cuny.edu

Monique Sosnowski

Expertise: Statistics

Monique Sosnowski is a PhD Candidate and Adjunct at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice / The Graduate Center, CUNY. Involved in academic research for roughly a decade now, Monique enjoys working with students to help them grasp key concepts within topic areas such as research methods and statistics. While not teaching or coaching students, her research focuses on wildlife crime and related law enforcement and security issues, with a particular passion for applied work in sub-Saharan Africa. 

Email: msosnowski@jjay.cuny.edu

Julia Von Ferber

Expertise: Research Methods

Julia von Ferber is a Doctoral Candidate in the Criminal Justice program at The Graduate Center/John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY. Her dissertation focuses on environmental criminology, specifically on the relationship between the physical design of public spaces and criminal activity. Julia specializes in quantitative and geospatial analysis using ArcGIS, Python, and R. Julia is also an Adjunct Lecturer at the Department of Security, Fire and Emergency Management at John Jay College and teaches courses in Cybersecurity and Cybercrime. 

Email: jvonferber@jjay.cuny.edu